Did you know that only 2% of shoppers are likely to convert on the first visit to a website? That’s a small percentage for any website – no matter what the size of the business is. So, with this 2%, the goal for marketers and advertisers is to get the other 98% of people to convert. But, how? That is where retargeting comes into play.
Retargeting refers to the strategy for digital advertising where ads are replaced in front of users after their initial visit to the site in order to get them to revisit and convert.
There are three main benefits with retargeting:
Conversion: Users who are retargeted are 70% more likely to convert.
Brand Awareness: By continuing to place a brand’s advertisement in front of users, those users are more likely to not only recognize the ad but start to recognize the brand as well.
Re-engage Consumers: retargeting allows advertisers and brands to re-engage those target consumers later in the customer lifecycle
Additionally, retargeting is ideal for:
- High-value products
- Long customer lifecycles
- Car, mortgage, luxury travel
- & more!
How it works in Choozle:
- Fueled by Choozle’s Smart Container Tag (be sure to place your smart container tag early – 30-60 days before you want to begin retargeting ad group!)
- Customer visits website
- Smart Container Tag collects customer’s cookie profile
- Cookie profiles collected by sites are in Managed My Sites
- Retargeting Tag (in Data Groups) then segments those profiles
- Use the retargeting tag in Custom Audiences
- Apply that Custom Audience in Campaign under Targeting à Custom Audience Targeting
- Cookie profiles within that segment will then be re-engaged online through display advertisements
However, in order to reap the benefits of retargeting, advertisers need to build a successful display ad to grab the attention of the target customer and force them to engage. For tips on how to create a successful display ad, check out our infographic “Anatomy of a Successful Display Ad” here. Don’t forget to build an equally strong landing page, as well!
Advertisers should be aware that retargeting will have higher CPMs, so it is important to bid accordingly! Retargeting focuses campaign efforts on increasing engagement and generate more customers and conversions beyond that first website visit.