With consumers now more digitally engaged than ever before, there is a greater need for marketers and advertisers to carefully consider their digital advertising strategy. This is true across all channels, none more so than digital display advertising.
To build the most effective strategy for a digital advertising campaign, marketers need to pay close attention to the driving force behind display advertising – data. The estimated 45% growth of programmatic media buying is a sign of the increasing importance of data and how it impacts a successful marketing strategy. The application of data in digital advertising campaigns will allow marketers to bring highly relevant and striking messages to customers. So what type of data is available to marketers for targeting in digital advertising campaigns?
- Behavioral (custom audiences): Behavioral data is based on information collected on an individual’s web-browsing behavior, such as the pages they have visited or the searches they have made, as well as offline behavior, such as their in-store purchases or their demographic details.
- Geo-location: Geo-location or Geo-targeting is the method of determining the geolocation of a website visitor and delivering different content to that visitor based on his or her location, such as country, region/state, city, DMA, metro code/zip code, metro code/zip code radius.
- Contextual/categorical: Contextual targeting enables marketers to target a specific category or content on websites or other media, such as content displayed in mobile browsers. This allows marketers the ability to display advertising with relevant content, such as a family travel ad on websites in the family lifestyle category.
- Site List: Site list targeting enables marketers to target specific websites. This allows marketers the ability to create a preferred websites that they would like their ads to be displayed on.
- Retargeting: Retargeting allows you to target users who have previously visited your website with ads across the web.
In a digital age where the consumer is more demanding, time pressured and swaps between channels, data is key to building a meaningful relationship.